Western Middle School for the Arts
2201 West Main Street
Louisville, KY 40212
The Kentucky Junior High Chorus (KJHC) is comprised of the Kentucky Junior High Mixed Chorus (KJHMC) and the Kentucky Junior High Treble Chorus (KJHTC). Each chorus has approximately 200 seventh, eighth, and ninth grade students who are selected by audition from the state of Kentucky. Both choirs perform in concert as part of the Kentucky Music Educators Association Professional Development Conference each year.
Victor Johnson – 2023 Kentucky Junior High Mixed Chorus
Lesley Mann – 2023 Kentucky Junior High Treble Chorus
2023 Roster and Fee Status
2023 Roster and Fee Status – Not Yet Available
Rules and Guidelines, Instructions for Making Recordings
KJHC Rules and Regulations with Audition Information & Guidelines (including making recordings)
Kentucky Junior High Chorus Concert Attire
Females: White blouse, black dress pants, black flat or low heel dress shoes and black socks/hosiery. Girls may wear skirts if desired. But skirts must be knee length or longer and wore with dark hosiery
Males: White dress shirt, black dress pants, black dress shoes, black belt and black socks. Boys will wear long dark ties
*Important to emphasize…..we have trouble every year with skirts that are not knee length. It is a difficult conversation to have with young ladies on the day of the concert. Please make sure they understand if they choose to wear a skirt, it must be at least knee length and with dark hosiery or they will be asked to change on the day of the concert. We prefer pants when possible.
2022–23 Audition Piece
Schubert’s Gloria Patri (from Magnificat, D 486) arr. PatrickM. Liebergen
Shawnee Press 35031305
Measures 25 – 71
YouTube link to the song with music – Gloria Patri (from Magnificat, D. 486) (SATB Choir) – Arranged by Patrick M. Liebergen
It is mandatory that the student sings with the provided piano accompaniment from the KMEA website. Singers should count rests silently (no audible counting or tapping from student or teacher). NO TEACHER VOICE ON THE RECORDINGS! THIS WILL DISQUALIFY THE STUDENT!
Required piano accompaniment – Not yet available
Teachers may use this practice score sheet that shows what the judges listen for.
Kentucky Junior High School All-State Audition Procedure:
- All recordings must be digital. They must be recorded as mp3s or converted to mp3s post audition. Only mp3s may be submitted this year.
- Each student’s audition must be saved as an individual mp3 file.
- Once again, the teacher may not instruct the student or sing with the student during the audition. Students must sing the following items in the order listed below. Singing out of order or skipping any part will result in the disqualification of the singer.
- Start Recording
Have the student make the following statement: “This is [student’s name]” The teacher will not talk. No mention of the name of the school is allowed.
- Instructions for Unaccompanied Major Scale Portion of the Audition An UNACCOMPANIED major scale ascending and descending using syllables, numbers, or on “la, loo, or doo.”
Only the beginning pitch of the scale may be played. Soprano: G or F Major Alto: D Major Tenor: E-Flat or F Major Bass: C Major
- Instructions for Harmonic pattern Portion of the Audition Harmonic Pattern Number 1
a. The upper part is played for the student. For tenor and bass it should be played down an octave. The student then sings the upper part on “loo” while the lower part is being played.
b. The lower part is played for the student. For tenor and bass it should be played down an octave. The student then sings the lower part on “loo” while the upper part is being played.
Harmonic Pattern Number 2
Students sing only the vocal part for which they are auditioning. The student says the name of the chosen vocal part and then the students part is played. The student then sings that part on “loo” or “doo” while the remaining three parts are played.
- Instructions for Prepared Solo Selection Portion of the Audition Piece
|Tuesday, October 18, 2022
||Deadline for recorded audition submission. ** Must use provided piano accompaniment
Any mp3 not posted online using the online system on or before midnight on October 19th, will not be assessed. Send one copy of the Audition Invoice – Not yet available and fees to the KMEA Office.
|Monday, October 24, 2022
||Audition Fee Deadline
If an audition fee is not received in the KMEA office on or before October 25th, the corresponding audition will not being assessed.
|Friday, November 4, 2022
||Targeted release of results
Results will be posted on the KMEA website, visible only to logged in members. An email will be sent to vocal teachers for grades 7–9 to alert them of the posting. In case of delay, it does not speed up the process if you call the office or email the chair. All we will be able to say is it will be ready soon.
|Friday, November 18, 2022||
Upon receipt of all of the above for all the students from the school, the KMEA office will send music packets to the teacher.
|Online, up-to-date status of forms and fees received, and packet distribution|
|TBA||Housing Forms due to the Galt HouseSee the Conference Housing page
Housing forms do NOT need to be mailed to the KMEA Office or the KJHC Coordinator.
KJHC Audition System
Link (not yet available) The link page may be accessed only if your school registration has been completed and the proper fees paid. If you cannot access this page, please contact the KMEA office at (859) 626-5635 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
In order to use a Google Form to upload a file (like a student mp3) you must log in to your Google account. If you have a Google account this poses no problem. If you do not have a Google account, please establish one for this purpose (it’s free). Go here to do so: https://accounts.google.com/SignUp?hl=en
You do not need to use your Google account for any purpose other than to access the KCC and/or KJHC audition submission forms. You may, of course, delete the Google account when you have completed this procedure.
- Have all student recordings saved on your computer, labeled as follows: john-smith.mp3
- Know student data: Student first name, Student last name, Grade, Gender, Shirt size (see below), Height in inches (half-inch increments allowed) Youth small
- Use the above red link to the audition system for that choir (you will not be able to use the KCC system for the KJHC and vice-versa)
- Populate the teacher and student data fields on the form, upload, and submit.
- For additional students click the link “Submit another response”
- Expect an automated email (immediately) that details the information you submitted and a link to the audio file. If you do not get a confirmation email, something is wrong.
- Write to John Stroube (email@example.com) for assistance resolving any difficulties you encounter.
For Use After Auditions
2023 KJHC Vocal Model Recordings – information not yet available
KJHC Ticket Information – information not yet available
Parent and Student Inquiries
KMEA is a member-based organization, and KMEA members may register their schools and provide opportunities for their students who attend their school. All communications regarding KMEA student-related activities must come through the music teacher, who is the KMEA member. KMEA has a responsibility to its members to insist that this protocol be followed.